Thursday, June 16, 2011

Debbie Downer Post.

I was given the opportunity to visit a stockyard today. It wasn't as terrible as I was expecting, mostly because it was more of a "ma n pop" kind of place where they didn't use electric cattle prods. What I saw, however, was still very jolting.

We watched the calf auction for low-grade veal. The babies were less than a week old, most with their umbilical cords still attached and their legs buckling beneath them. In the auction ring they were slapped around by a man who looked like he was out of a horror film - bulging eyes, twig-like limbs, the ability to willingly cause pain. People were at the auction like it was the movies. It was the local hangout, something to do on a boring Thursday afternoon.

Once the calves were sold they were shoved into larger pens to contain them all. They were significantly calmer, and bystanders were able to get as close to them as the fencing allowed. I bent down to pet the ones that were to weak and scared to stand. The calves were so warm and had the softest fur. They were downright cute. Their eyes bulged in terror. Some moved around anxiously, others accepted their fate and lay slumped together.

I also saw pigs, who I realized have the most human-like eyes. Most slept as close as physically possible, in what seemed like a giant spooning line. Two sheep seemed relatively calm, while one baby goat bleated incessently.

It wasn't easy to stomach, and yet it could be worse. I couldn't imagine visiting the animals' next destination.

A lot of sadness goes on in this world, y'all...


BUT. In some perkier news, I've discovered the beauty that is The Kumquat.


Kumquats are nature's Sour Patch Kids. These cherry tomato-sized fruits have sour, bitter rinds and sweet juice on the inside. At first you'll make a nasty face when eating them, then you'll delight in how sweet they end. If you can find some, BUY THEM!

And here's a recipe for some fantastic curry if you're into Indian food. I promise I'll be writing more about food soon, but right now I just want to share all that I'm learning and experiencing about the animal rights side of a vegan diet. 

1 comment:

  1. Just had to comment as I saw this on my Tulane email news... Glad you are doing well AND eating well!! I was down at IU yesterday and had my first taste of seitan... and it was quite tasty! If you haven't already done so, read some of Temple Grandin's books on animals. Don't know that she is a vegan, but she is an animal rights expert having designed safety chutes for cattle headed for slaughter, etc., plus she is an amazing autistic woman/professor at U of Colorado. Hope all is well. Sally Maggard

    ReplyDelete